One of the perks of working for Hawaiian is the rich history the company has here in the islands.
In the early days of the company, they used to take passengers up on a small plane...to reassure the passengers that flying can be safe and fun!
The plane they flew those passengers on was the Bellanca CH-300.
It was built in 1929. And get this...it STILL FLIES!
And crazy that I am, I signed up to take the girls on a flight in the 83 year old plane.
Here we are...ready to take off!
Since they only allow kids over the age of 5 to fly, Mitch had to stay back with Jojo and Kaden so I could fly with Kela and Anna.
This is it!
The Bellanca. It's 83 years old!!!
Our pilot, Gene.
Not as old as the plane (ha ha ha...but pretty close!)
Mitch trusted him, so I guess I did too.
And on a side note, when Mitch used to flight instruct at Flight School Hawaii, he used to teach Gene's wife to fly! Small world, huh?
Taxiing on the runway...we saw what looked like Air Force One!!!
But apparently, it wasn't.
Close, though! (would that be Air Force Two??)
Taking off!!!
Looking out over the airport and Ke'ehi Lagoon.
Anna got to ride shotgun up front!!
Magic Island & Ala Moana Beach park. Looks so much different from up here!
Waikiki Beach
I'm starting to feel pretty queasy right about here...
Above Diamond Head Crater.
My "Trying not to freak out so my kids don't freak out" look.
I was kinda freaking out though....it got pretty bumpy!
It was a beautiful and clear day...can you see Moloka'i?
Passing through the Ko'olaus and over the Pali.
Very bumpy here!
Anna's all smiles after we landed.
The girls had a BLAST!
And I did too...except for the nausea.
It was such a great experience! To get to fly in such a historical plane and look out over our beautiful island for FREE!
The girls are already asking when they can go up again...but next time with Mitch. :)
To look at ALL the pictures I took on the flight, take a look HERE!

No comments:
Post a Comment