10 March 2012

wall art, episode 1

Let me preface this post by stating the facts.
I am NOT an artist.
I like to scrapbook, sew, make cards and do fun things with paper, but I do NOT paint.
Ever.
Because I'm bad at it.
I wish I were an artist. But I'm not.


Okay, and so despite my NOT being artistically inclined (at all), I got this crazy idea to paint some decorative flowers in my girl's room.
I know what you're thinking. Probably the same thing I was thinking when I thought up this brilliant project idea.
Anyway, I saw this cute flower design in a vinyl sticker catalog and thought, "I'm not gonna pay $60 for some stickers! I'm just gonna paint them myself!"

Did I mention that I can't paint?

So, despite my NON-artistically inclined hand, I cut out these flower shapes with my handy dandy Cricut machine (hey, it's FREE! I wasn't about to pay money to buy stencils since those aren't cheap either!) and bought myself some acrylic paint and some brushes.
Then, I got to work!


Here's my palette.
I know, so high tech, eh?


Mid-stenciling...


Ta~da~!
Flowers done.
Those were the easy part.
Next was the hardest part for me...the stems.
Which I painted FREE-HAND!


So, here it is.
Taking into account that I have NO artistic bone in my body...I thought it turned out pretty good!
Of course, you have to look at it from far away. Preferably with your eyes squinted.
And maybe the lights dimmed a bit.
But all in all, I was pretty proud of the end result.


Aww... a pretty flower back ground for my little princess.

1 comment:

Heather Hitchcock said...

It's beautiful Yumi!!! And I think the free hand stems look much better than if they were all uniform from a stencil! Great job! Aren't cricuts great??