Yesterday was probably the worst day of my life.
Who ever thought that something so innocuous as THIS:
- A children's chair- could do SO much damage!
(Maybe I should sue IKEA! j/k)
As Jolee was trying to get up on said chair...she got off balance and fell. And somehow managed to get her little pinky finger smashed in between the wooden chair and our hardwood floors. Mitch was standing right next to her, and saw the blood so yelled at me to get a towel. It looked like a pretty deep cut, with a lot of blood, so I quickly wrapped it up and we rushed her to the ER. On the way there..I kept thinking, she'll probably need stitches!
Talk about understatement of the year!
When we got in, and removed the towel from her finger, my heart dropped. The chair had managed to nearly amputate (almost 80%) the tip of her tiny pinky.
After a couple tortuous hours of X-rays, exams, and just plain waiting, they wheeled her into the O.R for surgery. Initially, the ER doctor informed me that the most likely scenario would be to completely amputate the tip a bit above the top joint of her pinky, where the chair had basically crushed the tip. (sorry for the graphic image...) But after reviewing the X-rays, the Orthopedic Surgeon decided he would try and save the tip...and reattach it. And hope and pray that that the tissue will find a way to heal and regenerate itself.
And that's what he did.
After a short-but excruciatingly LONG- 45 minutes of surgery...the doctor came out and informed me that all went well. And that with luck, the finger will heal and all she'll be left with will be a little scar on her pinky.
Having never undergone general anesthesia, and never seeing a child put to sleep...it was very scary. Thankfully, all went well! She had NO complications with the medication or the procedure.
Next week...we'll find out how her finger is healing...and if the surgery has been successful. Hopefully...she'll be able to keep her whole finger!

3 comments:
O.M.G!!!! Poor baby! Yes, time to SUE Ikea...
Crazy scary! I'm glad she's okay. My heart dropped just reading your post...
I would have been freaking out if I were you. It sounds like you were able to keep it together though. Poor Jo Jo. I know what you mean about doing all you can to keep your little ones safe and they still manage to get hurt. Nolan fell off our coffee table the other day and got a big gash inside his mouth. Maybe if we just got rid of all our tables and furniture and replaced them with pillows...
Post a Comment