01 November 2009

halloween, part I & II

What a weekend!
Now, don't start calling me a party-pooper...but to be honest, Halloween isn't my favorite holiday. In fact, it's pretty far down the list of my fave holidays. Even as a kid, I wasn't much of a dresser-upper, if you know what I mean. I know, so boring, right?
This year, we had THREE separate Halloween celebrations.
It was like "Halloween Weekend"!
As "thrilled" as I was about this, the kids LOVE it...so, how could I refuse?
Ergo, the festivities!
Thursday the 29th was a special Halloween party at Anna's preschool. Amongst the candies, pumpkin carvings and such...Jolee seems to have developed a love of spiders. Hopefully, only "stuffed" spiders...
The pumpkin carving. That NONE of the kids wanted to help with.
Mrs. Neill tried to get the kids to help pick out the seeds and everyone said "NO." Ha! These kids are too darn smart for their own good!

Anna refusing to lift a finger to help with the pumpkin carving...but more than willing to strike a pose!


Jolee ready to head home.
It's not like she gets to enjoy any of the candy anyway, right?

.


THEN, onto our ward Halloween party at church on Friday 30th.


The kiddies all decked out in Halloween splendor! Except for Anna. She initially wanted to be "Barbie"-which frankly, I was none too thrilled about! I mean, there are SO many different Barbies! Which one looks the least "skanky" and inappropriately dressed for a 3 year-old to emulate?!? Right?!?
But all that aside...I'm thinking even an immodestly dressed Barbie would have been better than what she ended up donning!
A half-hour before the party, she REFUSED to dress up at all!!!
Wherever did she get her dislike for dressing up?!
I have NO idea!

(note: refer to first paragraph of this blog for the clue)



Jolee the mummy.
Ok, so maybe this is sort of a "cop-out." I came up with this idea the morning of the activity because I didn't want to deal with a hot and stuffy costume that I KNEW she'd hate to wear.
So, silly me-I thought it would be easier just buying some white fabric, tearing it into strips and wrapping her up! WRONG! Ever try to wrap up a 15 month-old in strips of fabric?
Let me save you the misery of ever finding out.
DON'T! It's so not worth the headache!



In case you can't tell...Kela is Dora for the second year in a row.
Like I was gonna complain about recycling a costume!
Pshaw, right!


Jolee...caught red-handed in Anna's basket!


Dora's backpack that I made last year...and the "new" Map that I made this year. I almost felt guilty for how little effort I put into her costume this year. Almost.


Luke. The caged lion.


Marques bobbing for apples and actually grabbing it with his teeth!
Do you know how hard it is to bob for an apple? It is no small feat!
Bravo, Marques!

Jolee "unraveling" at towards the end of the evening...literally!

Remember what I said about Jolee and stuffed spiders?
Seriously, this couldn't be my child!!
End of day 1 and 2 of our Halloween weekend...



2 comments:

Noelle said...

Very creative Yumi! I love the mummy idea. It works well! Your kids are so lucky to have family all similar in age PLUS siblings. It makes the festivities so much more FUN! A lot of work...but FUN!

Christina said...

I love Jolee's "Mummy" costume... so cute and worth all your effort to get her 'wrapped up'! For some reason, Halloween is not one of my top holiday's either... if it wasn't for the kids I probably wouldn't even bother!