This morning at around 10 am or so, I put JoJo down for her morning nap & was doodling on the computer when I smelled something funny. I started worrying that Mitch had forgotten to turn off the toaster when he left to take Kela to preschool...then checked the computer wires for signs of damage. I have a sensitive nose-and I smelled smoke coming from somewhere! Then, I heard the crackling of wood burning & sort of panicked. I headed up stairs to look out the window and sure enough-clouds of black smoke billowing across the field behind our house. One of the units across the way from ours, was on fire...and on it's way to burning down the rest of the adjacent homes. How scary...
Thankfully, everyone in the entire complex escaped, along with the mother and baby in the the burning unit, and it took the firefighters only 20 minutes or so to extinguish the flames. Oh, but the loss...I feel terrible for the families who will undoubtedly be shocked to come home to such a horrible sight!
Then it got me thinking...with little JoJo fast asleep on the couch next to me, I started thinking about the material things in our home. Even if I were careful, what if my neighbor's unit caught fire? There would be NO escaping damage to ours as well. What would I save? What would I run out of the house with if I only had a minute to decide and act?
Honestly? I'd grab Jolee and run. Maybe my wallet & phone...but with the clothes on my back and precious family safe, I know I'd be okay. That's all that really matters anyway, right? The computer, the shoes, television, cars, even the numerous (and I have a lot!) photo albums wouldn't even be a flicker in my mind if I had to run out the door.
So much to think about...I guess it put some perspective to the things that are happening around me-and the world. I'm grateful for what I have-the things that can't be burned and lost in a fire. Things that are eternal and sure. I feel grateful today.


5 comments:
Thank you for your post! :) I think it is so easy to lose sight of the things that are most precious. I know I do. Your post today really touched me and has given me a lot to think about. THANK YOU!!
Oh I think about that DAILY! I am VERY paranoid about stuff like that. Seriously, you can ask Bri. I think I need to blog about this...I feel for you guys! Keep those girls safe :) Glad to hear that everything turned out ok!
You are so right! Thank you for this awesome post. Nothing like a scare to put things into perspective!
Glad you guys were safe . . . but it does make you think about the important things in life. Great post!
Scary. I'm so glad you are all safe.
Post a Comment