13 November 2008

3rd time was the charm...it seems

I just couldn't resist posting this funny story.
*
This afternoon, on our way to the chiropractor's office, we walked by our very favorite shave ice place. The owners are these two very lovely Chinese ladies, probably well into their 70's, if not 80's. They also speak fluent Japanese, and since we are regulars there, they know us very well. And I mean, really well. As in, they know us, my sister Airi's family, my Mother (who lives in Seattle & speaks Japanese) and even my Mother-in-law (who lives in Arizona & is Chinese) and asks about them all the time. Did I mention we are regulars there? They practically know us by name!
Anyhoo, as we walked by this afternoon, they stopped us to look at Jolee (who is usually strapped in her dreaded car seat, but today happened to be awake in my arms). They both get this startled look and repeatedly tell me (and each other) how pretty she is--like they're surprised Mitch and I could make such a cute little baby or something! Anyway, I'm laughing it off because really, they're oogling at my too-cute baby so obviously, I can't disagree! :) And then one of the ladies goes (after glancing at Kela and Anna), "She's prettier than her sisters!" My jaw just about dropped, but now I'm just laughing out loud because it's just too darn funny to take offense! Then, she points to Anna and says, "She'll be pretty when she grows older!" And then they both go back to oogling at little Jolee for a brief minute before walking away.
Too funny!
*
A few things were running through my mind as we walked away:
  1. Was it so shocking that Mitch and I could have a cute baby?
  2. So, if Anna is destined to be pretty once she gets older...what does that say about how she looks now?
  3. And finally...What about Kela? (poor thing...I probably shouldn't mention this to her when she's older! )
  4. I suppose one cute child out of three isn't so bad, eh? *hee hee*

Anyway, like I said, it was just too funny to take any offense. If you know old Chinese ladies-you know that they simply say whatever they think-regardless of how it sounds to the person listening. They meant absolutely no harm, I'm sure...I just had to laugh!

*

*

And, since I can't post without a picture, here's a couple of pics of the girls with their cousin Aya the other night. We hung out in Hau'ula with my sister Elika and her kids for the evening.


4 comments:

B, C and b said...

Maybe she looks more haole? You know how Asian people adore haole features, for some reason. And probably vise versa. And how especially Chinese people say EXACTLY what's on their minds. LOL. Well, they are all very cute!

Anonymous said...

OH. MY. GOODNESS!!! Chinese, older, or not - manners and tact are manners and tact. Plus, all your girls are adorable! How could anyone not think so?!!

Gini said...

Maybe it's the Scottish blood in me that boils so easily, but I would have been throwing punches! I don't care if they meant to be mean or not, they were, and ALL THREE of your girls are beautiful. You handled it much better then I would have.

Airi said...

I thought all this time they were Japanese since they talked japanese but I am wrong and it is so funny that they would not know that you had Jolee .
From
Riho