24 June 2008

a lesson learned...

Lately, I've been a bit stressed out. With Mitch working and/or studying all the time, Kela's preschool schedule to work my errands around, and then being extremely preggo and uncomfortable on top of everything else...my nerves have been borderline fried as of late.
For a while I was getting pretty "snappy" everyday & so I've started to make a concerted effort to not take this "stress" out on my girls - which is so much easier said than done! Yesterday, Kela did something-I can't even remember what it was, but it had something to do with teasing or not being nice to Anna (which happens to occur on a daily basis...). I scolded her, calm and without yelling-which by the way, was quite an accomplishment on my part, I think. Anyway, Kela cries, and cries, and cries. After a couple of minutes, I'm wondering...why is this girl still crying? I'm done scolding her!!
When I asked her why she was still crying, her response...? "I don't want you to be mad at me!" My heart just sank and I felt terrible! Am I such a terrible Mother that she's starving for my approval and love? Maybe I don't show it enough? I suppose I need to be more emotionally available to my girls, which (as sad as it may sound) has always seemed to be a bit difficult for me.
Either that, or I'm just beginning to find out how emotional girls can really be! And to think I'm going to have THREE of them come August! Someone must be telling me I need to learn a lesson here...

3 comments:

kim said...

Welcome to girls. That is so common at my house. The boys just bounce back from any disciplining I might do and the girls sulk. I just have to look at Abby the wrong way and she freaks. I am sure you are doing a wonderful job. We tend to be so hard onourselves and not give ourselves any credit. Being in your house all the time as you were growing up, I have a hard time believing you are anything but a great mom.

Gini said...

Isabel is like this to a T! All I have to do is look at her with a disapointed face and she starts bawling. It really is a girl thing. My boys could care less if I scold them. Makes me a little scared for teenage years!
maybe you should catch up with Robyn, she has four girls!

Anonymous said...

I totally understand - maybe not in dealing with sensitive girl emotions but the feeling of being overwhelmed and being short with my kids. I start my day trying to tell myself not to yell but I usually tank it! At least Kela is aware of your feelings - I have almost the opposite problem where my husband AND my boys just think I'm an irrational female and pay me no mind which makes me even more frustrated and upset. We all go through our up days and our down days - but I've seen you as a Mom and you are doing a terrific job!