Exactly 9 years ago today (May 4th, 1999), I entered the Missionary Training Center in Tokyo, Japan to serve a full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The beginning of the (literally) most incredible 18 month journey of service, self discovery, and challenges I have ever experienced. Choosing to serve a mission was absolutely the second best decision I have ever made. (The first being marrying my husband, Mitch, of course!)
I had the opportunity to serve in the Japan, Sendai mission. It's the second most Northern mission in Japan, and the most Northern mission on mainland Japan.
I can't even begin to describe all the different emotions and experiences that my mission opened my eyes to...only to say that if given the opportunity to serve again, I wouldn't hesitate for a second! I would go. I would go again in a heartbeat. And, I plan to go again one day with my eternal companion when we're old and wrinkly and the kids are grown up. Because the only thing that could possibly top the 18 months I served in Sendai, would be to experience it again with my Mitch.
So, for those who I had the opportunity to serve with (my awesome Dodes, fellow choro's & shimai's), here's a little slideshow of just a few of the images from my mission. I apologize for the quality, as I had to scan them in...and I was rushing and didn't adjust the quality level too well.
For those who missed their opportunity to go before getting married...I hope you choose to one day with your spouses! You absolutely won't regret it!
**And, I know most of the pictures look like all I did was play around...but I promise we worked our tails off, too! We worked hard, played hard and enjoyed every minute of it!
***And for those who have absolutely NO idea what I'm talking about, visit this site for more information on our Church, its organization, its beliefs and practices, and how to truly find peace, happiness, and understanding in this life & in the next, for you and those you love! :)
04 May 2008
9 years ago today!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
What an awesome experiance!! I think you are so cool for serving a mission. I am looking forward to serving later in life with Jason by my side. That is such a great idea to put a link to the church website. Still a missionary!
9 years-- yikes you are gettin gold Yumes!!!! Fun slideshow!!! Good times!
What I'm not in any of those? rude! Good times good times!
Thanks for sharing pics of your miss! Fun to see your Sis. Sakuma days!
Hi Yumi! This is Megan Naihe! I saw your blog on Elika's site and thought I'd drop you a line! Your family is beautiful and your mission pics are so fun! I guess I'll be meeting you on Saturday for Anna and Aya's party! See you soon and thanks for everything!
Good slideshow!
And sorry about Anna's lip, but so cute too! I wish i could find a job like that where I could tote Mas around with me.
Hey there, just checking if you had posted anything else...fun times blogging!!
Oh, I stayed up till midnight last night scrapbooking by the way...I am pretty much caught up on the kids binders up to April. But, I am soooo tired today...hope I make it through the day. What are you haveing for dinner? Riho is cooking tonight.
Post a Comment