Preschool here in Hawaii is rediculously expensive. So, we decided to wait until Kela turns 4 to register her into an official preschool curriculum. However, in the mean time, there is a very short and very cheap 8 week preschool program put on by the state at a local high school for little kids. We took Kela last year and she LOVED it, and has been asking to go back since. Officially, Monday was the first day of school, but since we decided to keep her home on Monday (worried about her relapsing or getting other kids sick...), today was her first day of school. She so loves going to school and even though I have to drive 45 minutes in traffic to get there, it's all worth it. Besides, I have nearly 3 hours to kill in town to do some exercise, shopping, etc. It's great!
This year is especially great because Kela's cousin, Hugo, is also in the class. They drive from farther away...but they both love school and are so happy to be in the same class!! And, I get to hang out with my sister-in-law and Anna. Today, we hit Ala Moana mall to walk around and window shop...I actually shopped a bit, too, but can you blame me?
Since school finishes right about lunch time, we bought a few little bentos (Kela and Anna's favorite sushi, rice and chicken) and ate them in the car before the long drive home. As you can see, Anna didn't really want to leave Kela's classroom because they had a toy kitchen and all kinds of fun things to play with. Next year, we'll be putting Anna into the program--if only she were a couple of months older, we could have made it this year too...darn!

6 comments:
You're nicer than me, I don't think I would drive all that way for preschool. Abby's takes me less than 3 minutes to get to and somedays I resent that. I do love preschool though and all the kids hvae 2 years of it before they hit kindergarten.
Oh, Kim. It's only because I can't afford to fork out $500-600 for part-time preschool (p/u @ Noon) or $600-800 for full-time. And that's the monthly rate. Rediculous, right?
And besides, this program is only 2-3 times a week for 8 weeks only. And, it's a win-win because I now have a "regular" exercise schedule because I have 3 hours to kill and I usually use it to walk around the beach park nearby. It makes the drive "bearable"
That's outrageous! I pay $75 for 2 days from 9-12. When Isaac went last year I paid $100 for 3 days. I never went for 5 days. I kind of figured they could have the 5 when they hit kindergarten.
I still think you are nice, what with gas prices and all.
Yumi & Mitch - I haven't seen you guys in forever. You have a BEAUTIFUL family and I am excited about your addition (to the house and to the family). Keep in touch.
Michelle (Rushton)
That's when you know someone is a good parent, putting their kids needs in front of their own. I know you say it's good a good time for you to get stuff done,but still, 45 min. your awesome. Preschool is such a fun age. Evan is about to finish his last year of preschool. It's kinda sad, They grow up way to fast!
It's nice there's a more economical option and your kids will at least get a taste of school before kindergarten. How fun to have a cousin in class too!
Post a Comment