23 March 2008

i can't stop!



Once I start sewing something....I usually can't stop at just one thing. I keep going and going. I think it's compulsive.

Anyway, I decided to sew something I LOVE. (not to copy you, Kim...but) I love aprons. I love them. I think they are great--and use them everyday almost. Whenever I cook, I have to wear one. Maybe it's because I'm lazy and don't want to have to change clothes after cooking (I tend to be messy when I cook...) or maybe I just fell in love with them when I lived in Japan. Housewives in Japan (for those who've served missions there, or who've lived there should know!) wear aprons out in public--to the store. All the time. It's like their "trademark" or something. I'm not that obsessed...but I usually wear them from cooking to clean-up. Most of the time, I just forget to take it off after I'm done cooking. But also, when you have kids, it's like a handy napkin right there in front of you! ;)


So anyway, Airi got an apron as a gift and it was super cute. It reminded me that I'm in need (or want) of a new one & I've been meaning to make one for quite a while but needed a nudge--here's what I made today. The front & back...if you can't tell, the back is made so that you don't need to tie anything! It slips over your head & you button the back. It's the "Japanese" style of apron that I love so much, because you don't have strings dangling everywhere! I copied the pattern from an apron that I bought in Japan on my mission that I still wear to this day.
Yes, I know the pockets are uneven, but the fabric is what I fell in love with! So cute! And despite the pockets, it's actually reversible, too!
Kela saw me take out the sewing machine last week and has been asking me to sew her something everyday since. With the remnant fabric I had laying around, I made this apron for her. She loved it & even used it to help me cook dinner tonight! I'm extremely happy to have finally gotten rid of this fabric! I've made 2 throw pillows and 4 diaper pouches with this fabric & frankly was getting tired of seeing it in my closet! It is really cute fabric, though. So, here's Kela sporting her new "bacon"-which is what she calls it because she keeps forgetting the word "apron."

I think next week, I'm making a shopping cart/high chair cover for my sister-in-law. The germ-a-phobe in me can't stand the though of a little baby drooling over a dirty, "don't-know-what's-been-on-this-seat" shopping cart or high chair. So, after that project, I will most likely be giving my ol' sewing machine a rest for another few months until I get the itch to sew again...after baby is born. :)
Secretly, I'm aspiring to be half as good a seamstress as my Mom-who I think is the best seamstress alive! She would make all of our dresses growing up-even making her own patterns and creating amazing designs. From suits to wedding gowns, to even kimonos, I don't think there's anything she can't sew. She even sewed my cabbage patch doll when I cried wanting one (like everyone had in elementary school...).
If there were such thing as a black belt in sewing, she'd absolutely have it, 3 or 4 times over.

3 comments:

Ryan and Val said...

You're unreal! I think you're being modest in your sewing skills! Thanks for all the blog tips. My next question . . . how did you get your posts centered on your background? (if you check mine out, it spreads across the entire screen) which minima template did you choose? I chose minima stretch. Sorry for all the questions! thanks! val =)

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

Your aprons are so cute. I always forget to use an apron, or maybe I just don't cook enough? Not a bad idea though especially with our growing bellies.

Whenever I think of your mom the fact that she is an amazing seamstress it the first thing I remember about her. I'm glad to see you're following in her footsteps! What a great talent!

Gini said...

So I left a comment earlier, and I guess I didn't publish it! My mind is mush most days. I guess it goes with being a mom of five. Anyway what I said was, I love the aprons! I am reallu addicted to sewing also. I make and sell baby slings. I will have to make you one when baby number three comes.

My Mom also made me a "cabbage patch kid" when I was little. My strange father didn't like them so we were not allowed to have one. I was so upset, they were the bomb back then. So Mom to the rescue!! Mom's are awesome!