Summer is at an end. The girls are back at school, but on this first Saturday in August, we decided to take the family (with some friends) on an easy hike in Kaneohe.
I looked and looked for an easy, kid-friendly hike and came up with Pu'u Ma'eli'eli hike near the Valley of the Temples. ALL of the guide books I read said that it was easy and great for kids.
I don't know what kind of kids those guide books are talking about, but for our little ones, it was more than a bit challenging. It was also longer than I thought it would be.
BUT, the view was spectacular!!
There were lots of mosquitos, some muddy slopes here and there, and even a rock hill that you had to use a rope to scale...but through it all, the kids were troopers and did great!
We were very proud of them for making it all the way to the top!
And then up at the top, we were equally scared that they would fall off this landing area...but there was an extra ledge right underneath this that would prevent any serious injury should one child end up toppling over. That's not to say that we didn't keep a close eye (and hand) on them at all times, of course! I think even the kids were impressed with this fabulous view.
Me and Kaden.
Kaden did so great! I'm so glad that Mitch was with us, since he helped out quite a bit with both Kaden and Jolee. Elika also came so I had to help out with her little ones while she carried Nixon in the backpack carrier. But despite all that, all the kids pretty much climbed and hiked all by themselves! We were so very impressed and proud of these kids!
All in all, with friends and family, we were a pretty big group, with lots of little kids.
The hike was pretty challenging, but they all did so great and I really loved seeing the beauty of Kaneohe Bay and pretty much all of the the Windward side of the island from the top of the hill.
And the McDonald's ice cream and treats at the end proved to be the perfect reward for a job well done!



No comments:
Post a Comment