07 June 2013

kahuku farms tour

Almost on a whim, my sister Elika thought it would be fun to take the kids on a tour of the Kahuku Farms in Kahuku.  I'd never heard of tours there, but with the promise of a free smoothie at the start of the tour, how could we resist?  We went with both Airi and Elika's kids for a short, but fun tour of the family-owned farm!

 It's no wonder that when we arrived, the guide asked us if we were part of a school field trip!
Haha...no, just cousins enjoying some new sights. :)

 And the yummy papaya and banana smoothie was perfect for cooling off on such a hot day!

 Me and Jolee. It was a pretty bumpy ride, so paranoid Mama that I am, I had a hand on her for most of the tour. 

 Me and Anna.

 Kela stayed up with the bigger kids for most of the tour.
Couldn't be bothered to hang out with her Mom and sisters, I guess.  

 The kids and the tractor that pulled us around.

 In the middle of the banana forest!
It was pretty beautiful out here!
And neat to learn some fun facts about the fruits we eat and sometimes, take for granted!
Growing fruits is NOT easy work!

 Ah, Kela joined us for a quick pic...

 And then the tour was over and it was some free time to relax while waiting for our lunch.

Kahuku Farms also has a natural cafe where they serve lots of fresh foods prepared with the fruits and veggies from their farm!
I chose the veggie pizza, side salad, chicken and vegetable soup, and a dessert of grilled banana bread with a side of freshly squeezed lemonade.
Everything was SO delicious!
Except for the grilled banana bread-which was tasty, but way too sweet for me!

 Oops, one last pic of the kids on the tractor ride.

Hooray for a fun-filled afternoon enjoying some local Hawaiian foods and culture! :)
By the way, Kaden was NOT with me.  Mitch was good enough to stay home with him so I wouldn't have to chase around a little toddler and worry about him getting lost in the banana forest or getting trampled by the tractor!!  I know...unnecessary freak-out, but either way, not sure he would have enjoyed the outing as much as my girls did. :)

No comments: