02 April 2012

13.1

Back in February, I ran the Great Aloha Run.
And in the race packet, I came across a brochure for a new half marathon in Honolulu. It was a women only race, part of the Divas Half Marathon series, and this year was only the second time happening in Hawaii!
Just for fun, I posted it online to my running friends...to see if anyone wanted to fly to Hawaii to come for a visit. And possibly run with me.
Ha ha, right?
Well...turns out, don't ask if you aren't willing to receive!



My friend Ayako, from Okinawa emailed me with a response...saying that YES, she wanted to run it! With me!
Did I mention that I just ran the Aloha Run?
I haven't ran any races longer than 8 miles for almost 10 years... and that happened to be with Ayako as well!!!
(I nearly died that day, by the way. FYI: no training +full marathon = very bad idea!)

BUT...since I extended the invitation, and received a confirmation, I was stuck.
And so I ran.
But this time, I trained!

I had about 6 weeks to train for my very first half marathon.
Went out and bought myself some much needed gear (electrolyte tablets, carbo gel packs, and a fuel belt) and hit the pavement.
On average, I ran about 6-8 miles/day with usually a 10 mile run once a week.
So, on race day, I actually felt pretty good!


Here we are...around 5:30AM.
Waiting for the race to begin.



The race started and ended at Ala Moana beach park, with the course following along the ocean through Kaka'ako park, Aloha Tower, and the fishing markets near Iwilei.
It was actually a beautiful seaside course!


Here I am running through Kaka'ako park.
Don't mind the watermark. I wasn't about to fork out a ton of money for pictures of me huffing and puffing. he he he...


So, 1 hour and 55 minutes later, I crossed the finish line with a pink feather boa and tiara (which I didn't wear because I was sweaty and gross and wasn't feeling too pretty, if you know what I mean!).
I was hoping I'd get a little better time, but overall I was thrilled I made it under 2 hours and with my legs in tact!
At an average of 8.8 minute mile, I ended up ranking 22nd in my age division and 95th overall.
Not too shabby for my very first half marathon, eh?


Me and my friend, Ayako at the finish.
The weather was beautiful!!
Hot, but nice and slightly breezy.
We were definitely tired, though!


But apparently not too tired to hike up Manoa Falls two days later!

It was good fun running with Ayako again.
She was my senpai when I studied Aikido in Okinawa 15 years ago at the University of Ryukus.
When she flew here to run the Honolulu Marathon with me 10 years ago, I didn't train and was totally unprepared. She, however, continues to run a marathon every year so I totally give her props for keeping herself fit!
Don't know if I'll ever run a full marathon again...but this half marathon was pretty fun!
We shall see if I have the energy and drive to keep on running!


No comments: