07 August 2011

first snip, snip!


It's no secret that all of my children have been born with a healthy head of hair.
It's also no secret that I had 3 girls in a row...before being blessed with a precious little boy.

And in case you can't put those two facts together...let me spell it out in plain ol' English.
Despite having 3 kids...I've never had to cut a baby's hair before.
Until now.
Despite Mitch's insistence that Kaden's head of hair looks "fine the way it is," my sister Elika disagreed.
As did I.
For starters, baby hair rarely grows evenly. Am I right?
So as Kaden's hair has grown...it has also grown unevenly.
As in...long on top, short underneath...it started looking like some weird reverse mullet!
And I just could not, in good conscience, allow my only son to be sporting some funky reverse mullet in public!
And secondly, he's a BOY!
And I just think boys should "look" like a boy (and not like a girl wearing boys clothing and in need of a rubber band for their pony tail!).
Furthermore, since neither Mitch nor I have any experience cutting baby (let alone a baby boy!)'s hair, we enlisted the help of someone who does.

My brother, Atau.

(He does, after all, have 4 boys of his own!)

So here Kaden is as we were getting started.
Happy as a little clam.

A couple minutes into it...still pretty happy and kicking his tiny little feet.
...getting a bit antsy...


...antsy-er...and biting the cape...

....reaching the boiling point!!
(notice the cape is gone...he ripped it off...)


Complete melt down!

(Good thing, we were all done!)


See?!
You probably can't even tell the difference!

But let me assure you...there IS a difference.

It's nice and short, but not too short.

And best of all...NO reverse mullet.

2 comments:

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

Way to go Uncle Atau! It looks great. I'm loving the total melt down picture too.

Mari said...

He looks good!! Don't feel bad though...I have 3 boys and have absolutely no idea how to cut their hair!