As most of you probably know, Mitch is a pilot.
He flies pretty much from Hawaii to California's Bay area...but now and again, he gets to fly to Japan. He stays for a day or two at most, and then flies back home.
We have gotten used to this routine and despite having 4 little ones at home, life is not too hectic or difficult for me. It is what it is.
He flies pretty much from Hawaii to California's Bay area...but now and again, he gets to fly to Japan. He stays for a day or two at most, and then flies back home.
We have gotten used to this routine and despite having 4 little ones at home, life is not too hectic or difficult for me. It is what it is.
Well, this being Summer and the kids out of school, we thought it the PERFECT opportunity to put these long awaited plans into action.
Mitch's parents are here for the Summer so it really was the IDEAL time to go.
And so I went.
But with Kaden, of course.
So official looking!
And to be totally honest, this is the first time I've ever seen him all suited-up in uniform!

On the flight.
His was the ONLY car seat I saw on this flight. In fact, many people were looking at me like I was crazy for taking a car seat on the plane with me! I guess not many people take car seats on international flights...but I was SO glad I did!
NOT having to hold him the entire 8 hours to Japan was worth the annoying stares!
Plus, I actually got to sleep!
Yay for me!
We arrived into Haneda International Airport on the outskirts of Tokyo...and then shuttled to the Prince Hotel in Shin Yokohama.
Hotels in Japan are TINY!
But we didn't spend too much time indoors so it was perfect for the three of us.
With the jet lag, we ended up waking up around 5 AM...and had to walk around waiting for everything to open up!
We hit the convenience stores (since they are the ONLY things open at that ridiculously early hour) and then at 8 AM, headed out to the station.
This was taken around 8 o'clock in the morning...before most of the heavy foot traffic.
Out of all the options for breakfast, we chose...McDonald's!
I know what you're thinking.
What are we doing going to Japan and eating McD's for?!
Well, let me tell you.
McD's in Japan is NOTHING LIKE McD's in the US.
It actually tasted fresh!
And good.
So, McD's it was.
It's Peach water...but SO MUCH MORE THAN THAT!
I absolutely HAD to have one of these~!
And since it was SO hot in Japan...it was the perfect mid morning beverage.
Mitch chose this one...
And while taking this picture neglected to tell me that I had a piece of the cone stuck to my lip.
Thanks, Mitch.
But since the ice cream was SO good, I forgave him.
So, upon arriving in Japan, I had this LIST.
And on this LIST, were written several things that I HAD to eat while in Japan.
I can honestly say that I fulfilled ALL items on this list.
(#4 on the list is Menchi Katsu which is a breaded and deep fried ground meatball. I got it to go and ate it on the plane. :) #5 & 6 are bread and mochi...which although available in Hawaii as well, just isn't quit the same as the real deal in Japan.
I brought some of each home with me.)
Sure I've had it here in Hawaii...but was it as good as it is in Japan?
No.
I had what I always used to get at Mos Burger...the Rice Burger.
It was yummy.
Even Kaden wanted some too!
We didn't get to ride the train, but figured the subway was close enough.
Well...that was our trip in a nut shell.
On our way home...I almost didn't make the flight back!
I got to the airport and discovered that the fight was FULL!
Luckily for us, a few people didn't show up so after 2 hours of anxious waiting, we were told that Kaden and I could come home...!
Yay!
And even though I could have gotten a seat for Kaden again, we relinquished his seat so another stand-by passenger could fly home. Which meant that I had to hold Kaden the entire 8 hour flight. But thankfully, Mitch didn't have to fly the plane on the way back so he sat with me and helped with Kaden--who flew GREAT both ways, by the way!
Double yay!
I am SO grateful that I got to take this trip! Since it had been over 11 years since I last stepped foot in Japan, I was nervous about a lot of things...my language ability, getting lost, anxiety over leaving our girls home with grandpa and grandma (not that I don't trust them...just that I haven't ever left them before!). But all went well. I was able to speak Japanese fine, Mitch knew his way around the area, and our girls did great with grandma and grandpa as well.
I probably won't get another opportunity to fly to Japan again in some time, so I had to savor every minute of my 24 hour stay.
Which I did.
I took a bit more pictures...you can take a look at them here.

1 comment:
What a FUN trip! I'm so jealous! You look so happy! The food looks sooooooooo good! And I'm laughing about the whole McDonald's thing - same in S. America - NOTHING like the US! People actually will get dressed up to have a nice dinner at Micky D's down there. Funny :)
Post a Comment