12 years ago, I left the creature comforts of home in Seattle to serve a Full-time Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
In May of 1999, I arrived in the beautiful city of Sendai, Japan. I was excited and nervous and eager to serve the Lord.
I spent a WONDERFUL 18 months in Sendai, Miyagi Prefecture and Koriyama, Fukushima Prefecture...riding my bike in the city streets, talking to the local residents and loving the feeling of doing something good! I had countless unforgettable experiences and made many everlasting friendships. 18 months later, I left knowing I had done all I could to share with the local Japanese people my belief in God and the blessings that come from having Faith in Him.
And then...March 11, 2011...this beloved area where I lived for 18 months was hit by a massive earthquake, and subsequent tsunami. You've probably seen it on the news (how could you have not?!) and heard some of the stories. I've been glued to the news, Internet, blogs, etc. just so I can find out as much information as I can on what is happening there.
I'm in shock. If there is anything to test one's Faith in God...it is something like the tsunami that hit Sendai. My heart is literally bleeding at the sight of the mass destruction and turmoil.
Thankfully, I have managed to contact several members there and heard their stories of survival and Faith. It's incredible how much Faith and strength these people have-amidst such difficult situations, many are pressing forward with Faith and optimism. I know that despite many lives lost (according to the news, possibly over 10,000), those who have survived are selflessly helping one another and sharing of their sustenance.
Many see what's happening and ask how God could allow such horrible things to happen...and truth be told, I don't completely understand myself. But I do know that despite this and many other disasters we have been seeing around the world lately, there are blessings to be had and lessons to be learned if we can find some way to look forward with Faith.
Sorry for the "heavy" post...I can't help but think about all that's happened-and has been happening-in Sendai and the surrounding regions since this massive earthquake. It is constantly weighing on my mind and at times, bringing me down emotionally. But the more I think about it, and pray about it...I realize that there is still plenty of hope left for those in the area who have survived. Many people from around the globe have lent their aid and support for the people of Sendai and all of Japan. What a blessing to see so much humanitarian aid come together to help those in need. And there are many in need all over Japan now.
If there is anything these people need right now besides physical necessities such as food, water and shelter...it is the diligent prayers of all of us. I know I can't stop praying that help will arrive for those in need...and that peace can be had for those who have suffered.
In May of 1999, I arrived in the beautiful city of Sendai, Japan. I was excited and nervous and eager to serve the Lord.
I spent a WONDERFUL 18 months in Sendai, Miyagi Prefecture and Koriyama, Fukushima Prefecture...riding my bike in the city streets, talking to the local residents and loving the feeling of doing something good! I had countless unforgettable experiences and made many everlasting friendships. 18 months later, I left knowing I had done all I could to share with the local Japanese people my belief in God and the blessings that come from having Faith in Him.
And then...March 11, 2011...this beloved area where I lived for 18 months was hit by a massive earthquake, and subsequent tsunami. You've probably seen it on the news (how could you have not?!) and heard some of the stories. I've been glued to the news, Internet, blogs, etc. just so I can find out as much information as I can on what is happening there.I'm in shock. If there is anything to test one's Faith in God...it is something like the tsunami that hit Sendai. My heart is literally bleeding at the sight of the mass destruction and turmoil.
Thankfully, I have managed to contact several members there and heard their stories of survival and Faith. It's incredible how much Faith and strength these people have-amidst such difficult situations, many are pressing forward with Faith and optimism. I know that despite many lives lost (according to the news, possibly over 10,000), those who have survived are selflessly helping one another and sharing of their sustenance.
Many see what's happening and ask how God could allow such horrible things to happen...and truth be told, I don't completely understand myself. But I do know that despite this and many other disasters we have been seeing around the world lately, there are blessings to be had and lessons to be learned if we can find some way to look forward with Faith.
Sorry for the "heavy" post...I can't help but think about all that's happened-and has been happening-in Sendai and the surrounding regions since this massive earthquake. It is constantly weighing on my mind and at times, bringing me down emotionally. But the more I think about it, and pray about it...I realize that there is still plenty of hope left for those in the area who have survived. Many people from around the globe have lent their aid and support for the people of Sendai and all of Japan. What a blessing to see so much humanitarian aid come together to help those in need. And there are many in need all over Japan now.
If there is anything these people need right now besides physical necessities such as food, water and shelter...it is the diligent prayers of all of us. I know I can't stop praying that help will arrive for those in need...and that peace can be had for those who have suffered.

1 comment:
When I heard it was Sendai, I told Lad that we know a few people that that served there! It was totally tragic and I'm glad you got in touch with some friends. Definitely will keep them in our prayers.
Post a Comment