I wasn't planning on posting this little tid-bit on my blog...especially since most people I know already have heard this via my Facebook rantings...but since this blog is in part a family journal, I thought I'd go ahead and get it out there.I have gestational diabetes this time around.
To sum it up in one word? It sucks.
But not too bad.
In case you didn't know, I don't really have much of a sweet tooth. I mean, I enjoy eating my dessert after dinner as much as the next person...just not as much as some poeple. At least compared to the rest of my family.
As in, Mitch eats more sweets than me!
Shocking, I know...you wouldn't know it by looking at us....
But anyway, I've managed to scrape by without any complications or difficulties with my previous three pregnancies, so having GD this time around was a bit shocking at first. And a bit depressing, too, I won't lie.
However, like I said, it really hasn't been too bad. Maybe because I'm older, or because it's #4, I've found myself more tired than before. And surprisingly, less hungry. So, managing my eating habits haven't been all that taxing. The one major (and I mean MAJOR) drawback to having GD is the finger-pricking. FOUR times a day gets cumbersome! I have to remember to set my timer to check my glucose level an hour after each meal plus when I wake up in the morning. Not fun.
But other than that...I still get to drink my beloved chocolate soymilk, have a bowl of cereal or cookie here and there without any major spikes in my readings. I just have to make sure to time them so it's not too close to my scheduled pricking. :)
And thankfully, I've managed to remain in the "safe zone" so far!
Yeah!!
So, there it is. Out in the open. I'm not thrilled about it, but I've come to realize it's not the end of the world. And really...there probably wasn't much I could have done to avoid it. Like I said, it's not like I have a major sweet-tooth to have caused it. And with this pregnancy, I haven't really craved much sweets anyway. Besides...if you know anything about diabetes, you'll find that it has very little to do with sugar consumption. It's more genetic than anything. So, technically...I should blame my Dad!
No, but on a serious note, I am a bit concerned for the little guy's future and hope that I can stay healthy for his sake.
And mine, too, since I don't want to be pushing no 10 pound baby outta me come January!

4 comments:
Yikes! Docs thought I had GD when I was preggo with Jadan cuz my first glucose test was whacked out. Had to do the 3 hr glucose test which was so awful. Thankfully, I didn't have it.
I've had lots of friends who've had GD and they sad it was totally manageable. One friend in particular who was skinny as a stick and pretty much only ate salads, got GD, so yeah, little to do with sugar consumption...
Ouch! I think I hate finger pricks more than shots. Sorry you have to go through that. Glad your diet hasn't had to take too drastic of a change though. I would seriously problems if I ever gd. I don't know what I'd eat besides big hunks of meat.
I'm sorry you have to go through that! What a bummer! I'm sure everything will be fine in the end - just a pain for you to have to go through for the next few months. And you're right, a 10 pound baby would not be so pleasant.
Yumi, I had GD too. It totally sucks, especially the pricking. I had this intern that always seemed to come bother me and ask me questions at that time. Managing it is hard, and depressing, but not all that bad. I hope you continue to be able to manage it.
Post a Comment