30 June 2010

one week later...

**Warning...some graphic images!!***
(don't say I didn't forewarn you!)

So, it's been one week since Jolee's accident. And surprisingly, she's been doing exceptionally well! No fussing, no complaining of pain or discomfort.
(Although, that could be in part due to the Motrin we've been giving her round the clock, too...)
Sure, she's a bit needier than usual-though one could argue that she's always been quite needy. So, nothing really new there...

We had her first post-op appointment on Tuesday, and this is the loot I came home with.

Yup.
We have to clean and redress her wound every day.
Am I up for the challenge?!


Ok.
So, here's where it gets a bit gory.
If you can't handle stitches and scars and such...I suggest you close your eyes and scroll through the next couple of pictures.
But, if you're like me and enjoys getting grossed out, by all means!
Knock your self out. These are for you.
*~*~*~*
Today was our first go at cleaning the wound and hand by ourselves.
We were nervous! Not to mention this was Mitch's first glimpse at the finger. I think he took it a bit hard...unlike me, who's gotten more than enough images imprinted on my brain from before and after the surgery.
Here's her reattached tip.
I know it looks gnarly, but it's actually looking REALLY GOOD!
(It even looks better than when the Doc peeked at it on Tuesday!)

In a matter of one day, it's gotten much pinker and less blackish.
All good signs!

Even Jolee's a bit curious.

She's so brave! She didn't even cry or fuss when we cleaned it!

And we HAD to clean it. I mean, can you imagine how icky your hand would feel and smell after being bandaged up?

In the Summer?

In Hawaii?!

So...

This will be our ritual for the next two weeks until her next post-op visit with the Orthopedic Surgeon.

And considering she went from this:


To THIS:



She's a much happier camper.
She can freely move her arm. Even manage to grab things with her tiny thumb sticking out of the bandage...
Though I'm always nervous about her bumping into things or tripping and hurting her finger (no hard cast to protect it!)...she seems to be in no pain! (and off the Motrin!)
I'm just SO grateful that it wasn't worse!
And SO happy that she is well on the road to recovery!
*
Now, all I need is the upholstery fabric I bough to arrive so I can cushion the offending chair that caused all of this!
Once I get it, I'll post a pic of its transformation as well...unless Mitch decides to turn it into kindling first (which he TOTALLY was going to do until I stopped him!). I mean, sure it's hard to look at it without thinking of it as a safety hazard, but still...it's a super cute chair!
You'll see.
In a couple short days, it will still be uber cute and safe to boot!


1 comment:

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

Nothing's too graphic after childbirth, lol! I guess I did get a bit queezy when I did some observation hours in the Harborview ER for my EMT course years ago. But Jojo's little graphic finger is nothing compared to seeing a meat cleaver to the head!

So happy she is doing well! Cute pics! It's amazing how resilient little bodies are!