29 November 2009

i'm thankful for...

...Not having to cook this year!
As per our usual arrangement, our families dispersed the responsibilities for our Thanksgiving dinner. And what did I get? Yep, the Turkey.
AND, since I've yet to successfully make a flawless turkey, I was a bit nervous...until I realized I could get away without having to cook at all!
How, you ask? Here's how:
What's that you say?
What's a big pit in the ground with burning rocks have to do with cooking a turkey?
Every year, the Boy Scouts in our ward put together an IMU cookout as part of a fundraising effort. The last couple of years, we've just put a pork or beef roast in there, but THIS YEAR, I decided to make a "Kalua turkey."
Genius, right?
Here are the cheerleaders...waiting for the rocks to heat up for the IMU pit.

Once the rocks are sufficiently hot...down goes the shredded banana stalks.
And then the pans of various meats....ours is one of many pans there.
Obviously, there were MANY people who were eager to NOT have to cook on Thanksgiving Day as well.

Then, it's time for the banana leaves, then burlap...
...and then a tarp...and then dirt.

Sorry...I forgot to take a picture of the big reveal.
Ok, to be honest, they opened up the pit at 7:30 am the next day and I was NOT waking up early to take pictures when I could (and did) sleep in.


The crowd on Thanksgiving Day.
Family and friends...what a better way to spend the day!
And no better way to show thanks for each other than to enjoy good food and great company!

Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving as well!!

...now, Bring on Christmas!






4 comments:

Scothern's said...

Thanksgiving looked like so much fun! wish we knew how to cook like that. We'd be dead if our electricity went out! Your kids are so cute! I agree bring on Christmas.

Anonymous said...

I have never actually SEEN an imu - thanks so much for thinking to take pictures! I don't think any of the men think to do that but maybe they're busy - LOL! Looks like your Thanksgiving was a fun one - wishing you a great holiday season as well!!

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

Very smart way of cooking the main dish for that many people! I'll always amazed at how big the Sakuma clan has grown!

Janee said...

Fun! That IS a smart way to cook for a lot of people!