18 December 2008

a winter wonderland!

We made it!
With the Holiday travel season fast approaching, we weren't sure if we were going to make it out! (we fly "stand-by" - which is stressful, but well worth it considering it's FREE! Can't beat that!) Anyway, we flew out to Seattle for a very short, but adventure-packed 5 days.
Here's the jest of our fun-filled trip!

Our girls are "seasoned travellers." We know to keep them occupied with the DVD's and food...but they all (including Jolee) took naps and hardly fussed at all there & back! We were so proud-and happy. As were the neighboring passengers, too, I'm sure!
This trip we actually also flew up with my sister, Elika and her two kids. It's funny how strangely, more kids equals less work on our part! The girls behaved fabulously together!!
However, when we arrived at Sea-Tac Airport, it was so cold I almost jumped right back on the plane to go home to Hawaii!!
My brother Makoto has three girls (just like me!) And with Elika's little Aya in the mix, that makes for some SERIOUS estrogen overload!! Poor Mitch had no where to escape to!
The girls had an UBER-fun time playing house, dressing up, sliding down my parents' stairs, watching barbie princess videos, and of course, running around screaming and driving us adults INSANE!!

And, each time I go home we have to swing by my closest friend, Carrie's house. Kela and Anna love chasing around and feeding their chickens! They even got to collect some eggs the hens had laid! Well, ok-so technically, Carrie put a clean egg from her kitchen into the chicken coop for the girls to go pluck...but they didn't know any better & even braved the cold weather to chase the hens around. Me, on the other hand, ran right back indoors as soon as I got the chance!


Did I mention it was FREEZING!?!?! While we were relaxin' at my friend, Carrie's house...
It started SNOWING!!! FOR REAL!!!
Thanks to Carrie for the warm jackets and hats...we were all a bit unprepared for the weather.
What'dya expect from a couple of "Pacific Islanders" right?


So, after a few short hours, the snow was sticking & even deep enough to throw some snowballs and make a tiny snowman!
The only other time Kela has experienced snow was when she was only 5 months old, so technically this was both Kela and Anna's very first time playing in the snow!
Wouldn't 'cha know it, they practically lost track of time throwing snowballs and catching snowflakes with their tongue! They must have played outside in the freezing cold for over an hour while I only lasted about 15 minutes. They probably would have stayed outside for even longer had it not been for Mitch coaxing them back indoors!
Their first time in freezing weather and they didn't even complain!


AND, Lucky us, Santa allowed "RUDOLPH" out of the North Pole long enough for us to sit and chat with him! I think it may have been my very first time seeing an actual reindeer!! Too bad Anna fell asleep and missed all the action...although come to think of it, it was so cold out she may have been lucky to be bundled up asleep for this outdoor excursion.



And lastly, me and a couple of my "buds," Carrie & Rachel. We let the kids run around and play at an indoor playground while us ladies chatted away in the warm room. Sometimes, the best activities are indoor activities! I learned that on this trip-for sure!!


I wish we could have stayed a bit longer...although with the freezing cold, snow and ice, it may have been good timing to head home when we did. I hear Seattle just got pounded with some more snow just yesterday! I realized that as nice as it was to "feel the Christmas Spirit" with the cold winter weather...I am now and have always been, and forever will be, a "Summer" kinda gal. I love and miss Seattle often, but I'm happy to call Hawaii my home. :)




5 comments:

Gini said...

I'm glad you guys made it home safe and that you had such a great time! I would love to visit Seattle again. With Robyn being the only one of my family still there and her making regular visits this way, we don't get much of a chance to head that way. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to talk Jason into a trip to the big city. (He's a small town boy)
You are too funny about the weather! I wonder what you would think of our snow. We have at least a foot of new snow right now and it is still coming down. (and not a single school closed this morning!) Not to mention it's like -2 degrees. I wouldn't mind a trip to Hawaii right about now!

B, C and b said...

Glad you guys had a great time and that the girls had fun with the snow! I don't mind the snow and cold actually (just the ice), and I have to say that I will definitely miss it when we move. I know, crazy. I think I like not sweating all the time - like in AZ in HI. But I don't like the being pasty part so much :)

Airi said...

I got chills just looking at the pictures...it makes you appreciate Hawaii weather. But we will probably head over there next year.
I'm glad that you were able to visit mom and dad and Makoto's family! We've got to get them all over here!

Anonymous said...

Even with the cold weather - it's sometimes a nice change from the non-winter weather we have here. Snow seems like fun (at least for a little while!) So glad to hear you had a great time with family and friends. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Mindy said...

I wondered what the heck happened to you!? I was starting to get worried with no post for so long! :) I know, I have no room to talk! :) I am glad you guys had a good time! I cannot believe all the little girls! I had to show Jason. Now that is something we will NEVER see. We have the same sort of thing, only with boys around here. I have three and my sister has four. Total chaos but oh, so fun! :)