06 September 2008

it's all about the food, right?

This is my conversation with Mitch after picking Kela up from preschool on Friday afternoon:
Me: Oh, that's right! Tonight is Kela's Open House from 5 to 7!
Mitch: Is there going to be food?
Me: I doubt it. Just a meet n' greet with the teachers and staff. So we can see what Kela's been doing and how things are going! You know, to check the place out!
Mitch: Ah, no need, eh?
Me: ...(blank stare)..Wh..What? Of course we need to go! It's an OPEN HOUSE! Do you not care about your child's education?
Mitch: Sorry! I didn't think it was mandatory!
Me: ...(continued blank stare)...Way to be "hands-on" with Kela's education!
Mitch: (in a very quiet, muffled voice) Okay, so it's mandatory. We'll go then...
Me: ::Sigh::
Well, we went. We got to check out her preschool teachers, see some of the activities and artwork she's been doing, and see some of her friends she always talks about. They even had a little bit of food--fruit and youghurt, which Anna went to town on! It was nice! But, mostly, Anna had fun. She got to play with the toys and on the playground there. Even do some educational activities like counting and sorting buttons by color, etc. She didn't want to leave! I'm glad we went...and I sure hope Mitch was, too! Even though there wasn't any food (except for the fruit)!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad your family enjoyed the open house. Lad is almost ANTI school - I have to keep on reminding him of school things, not to be late dropping Dallen off, homework, etc, etc, etc...it never ends. For every school function it seems he can't wait to get out of there. No talking, no questions, no looking around - he usually hangs around by the door, feigning "watching" the kids and the only time he ever offers to carry Chyler. I'm not sure why but I think school was never his "thing".