06 August 2008

jolee's 2 week check-up

Yesterday was Jolee's 2 week check-up at the dr.'s office. She's doing great, and growing, growing, growing! Here's her stats...in case you want to know. :)
Weight: 8 lbs. 10 oz. (57%)
Height: 20.5 inches (54%)
Head: 35 cm (23%)
The Seavey trait of a small head seems to live on...
Well, she's gained all of her weight back, and then some (yeah!) And even managed to grow a whole 1/2 inch!
She still (for the most part) sleeps great during the day...unless we're driving around. She doesn't seem to enjoy her carseat that much...and lasts for only about 30 minutes when awake. If she's sleeping, then I'm home free!! She also takes a bottle so well, I've managed to escape sans-kids on a couple occasions (hooray!) At night time, she wakes about 2 or 3 times, but usually goes right back down after nursing. The other day, I made the mistake of drinking some Dr. Pepper & paid for it dearly at night time. She was up for 3 hours straight-and not happy. Now I know...no Dr. Pepper until I'm done nursing. Shucks.

Jolee was born with a little birthmark on her head. They call it a Nevus Sebaceous. Basically, it's a bald spot on her scalp. Thank goodness it's on her head & she's got a lot of hair, because some babies are born with them on their faces or neck or even arms. Little Jolee's is on her scalp & for the most part, her hair covers it up. It's about 1cm in diameter. The Doc simply says to monitor it so that it doesn't grow or change color, etc. We have to make sure to keep it out of the sun since it can get sensitive & even become cancerous. Which may be the most difficult part since we are a beach-lovin' family. Oh well. I did shed a few tears when I first saw it. I've gotten used to seeing it now. We may have to remove it later on, and probably will if not for cosmetic reasons, just as a precautionary measure to avoid her getting skin cancer later on. So sad! For now, though...it's there, and only seems to be a bother to me.

On a side note, today was Kela's second day at preschool & she did great! She got a bit teary-eyed when I dropped her off, but with the help of one of the teachers, she let go of my hand and went off! When I picked her up, she was all smiles. The room was dark for nap time and she was the only one sitting in the chairs, waiting to be picked up. (I pick her up before nap time...). I felt bad. Next time, I'll know to go a little earlier so she doesn't feel so alone and left out at nap time. However, she made a new friend (named Olivia, it seems) and had fun & is eager to go back on Friday. Momma's so proud! They sure do grow up too fast...


3 comments:

Ryan and Val said...

Jo Jo is so cute! She seems to have the opposite problem of our Rebekah . . . "Patootie" has always been a little undersized for her age. At her last appt., she finally got out of the 5 - 10 percentile, her body is in the 25 - 50, but her head is in the 50 - 75 percentile! She has to have her daddy's head! Her head is so round and big that you can't ever see her neck! We still think she's a Cutie and love her to pieces, big head and all! You look great, by the way! I think we were actually in Aiea on the day of Jo Jo's blessing, we went to the Serrao's Ward for Marky's farewel, I'm sad we missed you!

Anonymous said...

Yes the small head is a Seavey thing. Brighton's got it. Poor kid (because we know how hart it is to find hats that fit). But I guess it's better than having a HUGE head! And hooray for the bottle! It's Mitch's turn to feed! You are going to love that. Sorry to hear about her birthmark. Brighton still has his mark from my pelvic bone - slowly fading - except when he gets mad and then it's bright red again. Lovely.

Anonymous said...

So glad that Kela enjoyed her 2nd day! Chyler has the same thing on her head - maybe it's the year of the "head patch". I have to take her to the dermatologist to get a baseline - although my ped said that it isn't something to worry too much about right now. But, staying out of the sun in Hawaii is no easy task!