14 July 2008

the most trying of days...

So, I feel like a terrible mother...since Mitch has been gone, I think today has been the most challenging thus far. Hopefully, today was the peak and Thursday will come sooner than it feels right now. *sigh*
For some reason (OK, I sort of know) Anna was absolutely out of control. Kela has had her share of tantrums and crying bouts, but this was seriously a first for me! I was out and about all day today, running around and getting errands done. So much so that Anna's nap was cut short and in her car seat only...didn't even have time to bring her inside to nap on her bed like I usually do. I'm thinking this is what did her in, because come evening time, she was a completely different little girl! It started with the shower--she screamed that she didn't want one, and then when it was finished, she screamed that she wanted to take another one! All the while the screaming and crying is merely a backdrop to the entire drama unfolding...non-stop and LOUD! After 15 minutes or so of this (I simply left her alone to "cry it out" because she was seriously inconsolable) she finally calmed down enough to eat her dinner. After which she was back to her happy-go-lucky self again.
Fast forward to bed time & it's the crying drama all over again. I offer her water, she refuses. I take the water away, and she cries and cries for water. MAKE UP YOUR MIND ALREADY!! I know, she's overly tired and I should have been the patient and loving mother to hold her and try to console her...but terrible me, what do I do? I close the windows ('cause I don't want our neighbors to call CPS on me!), sit with Kela and try to calm her down because by this point, Anna's screaming has upset Kela to tears as well. Oh, it's never ending! **sigh**
After giving Anna some more water (even though the stubbornness in me wanted to ignore her completely...terrible, I know!), she ended up crying herself to sleep in her own bed. Does that make me a bad mom? I'm thinking to myself...what would "Supernanny" say to this situation and how would she handle it? Hmmm...I dunno, but all I can say is that I'm pretty proud of myself for not "losin' it" because it took a lot of deep breathing and thinking "happy thoughts" on my part to refrain from losing my temper completely!
With both girls down in bed, fast asleep, I can honestly say that I am BEAT! And super glad that the day is over. And despite the fact that I should be in bed as well...I think I need to unwind. Maybe I'll scrapbook...

2 comments:

kim said...

If it helps, mine have cried themselves to sleep before. Sometimes it's better for me to leave them alone (for their own safety) until I can face them when I am more calm. And the lovely thing is, when they wake up in the morning all is right in the world and there are no hard feelings!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that you had such a crummy and trying day! Your comment thread might turn into the Mother Confessional. With Austen in our house, every other minute of the day is an event of uncontrollable screaming and tantruming. I've left him alone to work it out more times than I can count. The frustrating thing is that they want something, then not...want it again and then not. You can't win, nor console. I give you total props for not "losing it" because I almost always lose it. (Shh! Don't tell but I've threatened to make him sleep in the jungle (our backyard) if he doesn't stop - yikes!) I could go on and on regarding these types of days as they happen multiple times a day, several times a week. I guess like us, our little ones can have bad days and as mothers, we just have to do the best we can with our resources at the time. I think that they need space like we sometimes need space too. I hope the rest of your week breezes by.