25 July 2008

adventure at the mall

We went out to the mall tonight-the Navy Exchange, to be exact. Since Mitch's Dad is retired military, we find ourselves here often during the summer months they are here. This is the fountain the girls like to throw pennies into.
Who needs a triple stroller when you can fit two little bums in the back seat of a sit-n-stand! I love this stroller. A great buy on Craigs List last year! :)

Jolee meeting Grandpa Seavey for the first time. She sort of looks like she's smiling...sort of.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am a paranoid parent. I'll readily admit it. Not so much about germs (although I do have hand sanitizer on hand, use a shopping cart cover, and even carry disposable placemats for public dining on occasion...), but more so about other dangers. At the park, I shudder when my girls climb up to the top of the jungle gym, they're rarely out of arm's reach at the beach or pool, and in my car is a window punch and seatbelt cutter tool that I bought-just in case I ever drive into the ocean. I find myself often imagining worst-case senarios and sometimes have nightmares from my wild "what if's." I need to stop. But ever since Kela was born, it's progressively gotten worse with each child.

Tonight at the mall, we lost Anna. We eventually found her...but for a brief 5 minutes or so, I was frantic. I was holding baby with Anna by my side, waiting for Mitch to finish at the check-out. He had Kela with him. He walked over to me to drop off Kela and I saw Anna follow after him. In my mind, I assumed Mitch knew Anna was following him. He didn't. When he finished checking out, he comes over and asks where Anna is & that's when I started to panic. We spread out all over the store, retracing all the places we looked at & I'm starting to conjure up all the worst-case senerios I could think of! The elevator, the escalator, and since we're on the second floor...the railings, etc. And then the thought of some friendly looking pedophile snatching her up...it's endless! I'm freaking myself out again just thinking about it! Anyway, Mitch walked outside the store and found Anna wandering around the food court area...right by the stairs that lead outside. Relief doesn't even begin to describe the emotional roller coaster I went through in those short 5 minutes!

If there is any reason to keep me at 3 kids, this just may be it! I'm beginning to think I can't handle keeping an eye on more than this...and Jolee is just a baby! What am I going to do when she starts walking?! Maybe I'll invest in one of those "kiddie-leashes" you see tethering kids to their parents at the zoo....or prozac?

3 comments:

kim said...

I have to admit, we have lost all of ours for a minute or two at one time or another. The worst was just recently when the store shut down and did the Code Adam. It always makes you feel like a great parent.

My mother had a harness for me. It was her sanity saver and it helped me have freedom. They are great.

It does get easier, I promise. You're just feeling overwhelmed with the new baby.

Anonymous said...

Yumi - you're hilarious only because you are drop-dead serious! Please don't ever drive into the ocean!

We've lost our kids quite a bit - Austen mostly because Austen is Austen. I usually don't worry too much until I don't hear him for about 5 minutes...then, we start getting mad/worried. Once, when we were in Daiei in Waipahu, he wandered off and I thought he was running around the next aisle with Lad. Little did I know, we both didn't have him...until we heard him yell "Moooooommmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeee!" from WAY across the store. Like I said, it's only until I don't HEAR him that I worry because I can usually hear him...and so can everyone else.

Ryan and Val said...

Yumi, as crazy as it sounds, I think I can relate to your thinking. I do the same thing with thinking of worst case scenarios (my last one was on our superferry ride back from Maui, I thought, "what if someone accidently banged Ryan while we were on the outside deck and he accidently dropped Rebekah into the ocean?!" I started panicking just thinking about it!), so don't feel bad. I can imagine how panicked you guys were with losing Anna, I'm glad you found her! Jojo looks great!