04 April 2008

MITCH



How long have you been married?
We got married on December 27, 2002. We dated for 1 1/2 years...but most of it long-distance. We're 5 years now, and still going!

How old is he?
Mitch is 30, but will be 31 next week. I have to add that in because (technically) I'm 6 weeks older than him. But, what's 6 weeks, right? We're the same age.

Who eats more sweets?
Surprisingly, Mitch has a bigger sweet tooth than me. If there's chocolate in the fridge, it's usually gone without me knowing it.

Who said "I love you" first?
Hmmm...it was so long ago! I'll say he did, because I think I did just about everything else first!

Who is taller?
Mitch is taller. Which isn't too hard, since I'm only 5'2"!

Who can sing better?
Ummm, let's say I am...just because Mitch is NOT a singer. I grew up singing karaoke, but wouldn't consider myself a singer by any means. Mitch, however, refuses to sing when we all get together for karaoke.

Who is smarter?
Really? What kind of question is that? It depends on the subject, I suppose. When it comes to analytical or logical thinking, it's probably Mitch. He tends to over-analyze things at times, but it helps him make good decisions in the big scheme of things. Me, I'm the anthropologist/sociologist who always wants to know the "why's" of everything people do and say. If you ever get the chance, ask Mitch about the weather. He likes to "woo" people with his knowledge of of the weather...I think if he weren't a pilot, he'd want to be a meteorologist.
Who does the laundry?
We both do---or, actually maybe Mitch does it more often. BUT, I have to fold the clothes, because Mitch doesn't know how to fold clothes...if he tries, I have to re-do them. So, he doesn't even try anymore & I'm fine with that.

Who does the dishes?
Both of us do...although if you ask Mitch, he'd probably say he does it more (and he just may be correct). Especially if I cook, he'll almost always offer to do it. How great is that?

Who pays the bills?
We both do. Whoever opened the envelope usually does the check writing or on-line paying...or we keep it in our "to pay" slot & whoever notices it, usually takes care of it. I know, we probably should come up with a better system, but it's worked fine thus far without any "forgotten" payments.

What are his hobbies?
Well, before we got married and before we had kids, we usually hit the outdoors hiking, swimming and relaxing at the beach. He even did a few biathalons but I'm not sure he did those for sport or from "peer pressure" from his brother and dad. Nowadays, we're so busy that when we get a few extra hours to relax, that's just what we like to do. But Mitch seems to enjoy going to the gym, relaxing at the beach, and going for walks with his family. Also, since building our house, he really likes carpentry and always talks about wanting to take classes on it. He's a guy-he likes to build stuff, I guess. He's also great at working on cars, and has fixed up his truck on several occasions (he's got a clunker of a truck that so needs to go!). But lately, if he's got time to kill, he's usually on the net reading up on the latest aviation news & rumors or checking out Diesel trucks on Ebay Motors...I know, so boring!

Who sleeps on the right side of the bed?
I do-it's usually the closest place to the kiddies. Although nowadays, they'll usually walk all the way around the bed to his side to lay next to him...they love their Daddy.

What are his guilty pleasures?
Peanut M&M's. He loves chocolate. Only in small quantities, but he craves it often. He gets it from his dad-who is a self-proclaimed choco-holic.

Who mows the lawn?
Well, if we had a lawn to mow, it'd be Mitch. But he always weed-wacks our yard as well as our neighbor's. She's older, single & injured and has a fairly large yard with lots of yummy fruit (ie. Mangos, tangarines & lychee!) Mitch mows, weed wacks, and trims her yard and trees regularly to help her out & she gives us free fruit--such a great trade-off if you ask me! She LOOOVES Mitch and calls him her 3rd son.
Who is his best friend?
I am. To be honest, he's always been quite the introvert and happy to be so. He's always friendly and gets along great with nearly everybody and isn't shy, per se...just not the type that needs to "get out" and socialize like his twin bro. Very different personalities, if you ask me. But largely the reason why I fell in love with him. We're happy just being together.

Who cooks?
Let me start out by saying Mitch is a great cook. He definitely knows his way around a kitchen and a grill...but me being such a picky eater, I tend to do most of the cooking. But, it's by choice. I love to cook (I'm addicted to the Food Network) and he's so great to let me. But he's always more than willing to step in if I'm tired or too busy. He's probably better with the crock pot than I am.

Who drives?
When we're together, he drives. Always. Unless he's SUPER tired or needs to study. Otherwise, I'm the navigator (or back-seat driver if you ask him). He says I "comment" on his driving too much, which I probably do. But he drives anyway.

Who wears the pants?
Contrary to what my family probably thinks, Mitch does. He has the last say on all the major decisions and I trust his judgement completely. But then again, I'm pretty darn good at arguing my point across and nudging him to agree with me on certain things like the kids and such. I suppose if you look at the big picture, we're pretty equal.

Who kissed who first?
I think I made the first move & kissed his cheek. As far as the lips, it was Mitch. I can still vividly remember the moment...

What was your first date?
Our first date was a nice hike up Diamond Head. My first time. It was the perfect date-outdoors, beautiful weather, and a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean. I had just turned my mission papers in and wasn't thinking of starting any romantic relationships, but couldn't help but feel like he was "the one." I knew from the first moment we met that he was my soul mate. He waited for me to come home from my mission (but wrote me every month!) before we officially started dating.
Who proposed?
Ok, this is something I bug Mitch about to this day & probably will for the rest of our lives. I never really got a proposal! We always talked about it, practically from the moment we started dating-because we both knew that was our ultimate goal. So, we talked about it, looked at rings and such and even picked our date...all without a proper proposal. He said he proposed when he gave me the ring-but that was 2 weeks before our wedding day! How lame is that? Anyway, long story short, we did get married earlier than we initially had planned, but just like we always knew we would without all the glitz and glamour that we both shunned. It was small and intimate and perfect.
Who has more siblings?
I do. He only has one (twin) brother and a sister. I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters. Which is why I always knew I would have a big family myself. At least 4 kids...if I'm brave enough, I'll go to 5 like you, Gini!

What is your favorite thing about him?
Where do I begin? Like I said before, I knew I wanted to end up with him from the first moment I met him. We met at a YSA fireside and he spoke about his mission experience (I had just turned in my papers so this was a BIG bonus for our relationship). His testimony inspired me and I realized that I wanted to be a missionary like he was, and marry a man like him! He's humble and so giving. He'll literally give the shirt off of his back to help someone else in need. Like our neighbor who needs her yard done-he does it every other week without being asked or expected to do so...just because he knows she needs it done and can't do it herself.
He's actually quite the romantic. Most of our courtship was long-distance. He lived in Arizona finishing up school while I lived in Hawaii doing the same. We were only "together" during the summer! Once he surprised me after work-I called him like I always did and his father said he was out...which sounded odd because it was like midnight AZ time. Then, he calls me and it's a Hawaii number, and I notice his brother's car in the parking lot. I was totally confused and unable to put two and two together...until I turned around and saw him. He had flown out for the weekend to surprise me-it was so great. A co-worker was outside in the parking lot watching the whole thing and all she could say was how sweet he was.
He also (used to) write me poems...some quite "racy" and detailed...which would probably surprise his family-he's definitely not the shy guy they think he is! But, that's for my ears and eyes only. ;)
If you ever want to see Mitch blush, ask him what he did for me on our very first Valentine's Day as a married couple...it still makes me giggle when I think about it... :)
Nowadays, he gives great back & foot rubs, loves me even when I'm cranky and bloated and feeling ugly and fat from pregnancy, and makes me feel beautiful (regardless of the afore mentioned condition I'm in now...). He enourages me to be more honest and giving, which is probably why my family loves him more than they love me! Just kidding, but they love him tremendously. As do I. :)
Oh, and I think I'm supposed to "tag" somebody else now...
Since I don't know your stories, I'll tag Jenn, Val, Starr, and Elika (although I sort of already know Dean, consider this your very first "tag") :)

2 comments:

Gini said...

I am very impressed with what a good guy your hubby is!! It was fun to read about how you guys started out. Thanks for playing.

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

That is great that he wrote you throughout your mission. I still have all Bracan's letters he wrote me during high school and college. At the time I thought they were funny love letters, but now I'm glad I kept them.