20 April 2008

a chilly pool party

Today was a rainy Saturday. It's been raining off and on the entire day...even downpouring at times! Such a bummer that Kela's friend's birthday party happened to fall on such a junk day! But, since we do live in Hawaii, and our friend's pool happened to be a HEATED pool...the party went on!
After dinner, the girls decided it was no fun simply watching all the kids swimming...so Mitch graciously agreed to swim with them. Which was a good thing because I wasn't about to sport a swimsuit to brave the cold! The water was heated, but the air was pretty cool--and when it rained (which, like I said was off and on the entire day) it got COLD! I think Mitch was hoping the girls would be happy staying on the stairs...but no, they wanted to go ALL the way in. He ended up getting soaked head to toe.
You can see in some of the pictures how Anna learned how to Jump into the pool from the edge. It was funny (and scary) because she'd actually try and run away from Mitch while jumping into the pool, so he had to literally chase her just to catch her in time! She's absolutely our fearless one when it comes to the water! Kela stayed close to the stairs nearly the entire time. Although for a short while, she actually ventured away from the edge...albeit she had a floatie ring around her. She's still pretty scared of the water. I keep thinking I need to teach her how to swim. Since our friends live just up the hill from us, we just may visit more often to teach Kela and Anna how to swim (especially since I'm deathly afraid of drowning...I had a near-drowning experience when I was preggo with Kela and have been a baby in the water ever since!). And, living in Hawaii, we go to the beach so often...it's always better to be safe than sorry, right?

After swimming (can you tell it was cold? The girls are sporting cardigans and sweatshirts!), it was time for brownies and ice cream! Zoe is the birthday girl. Her little sister Sophie is Kela's age and are Sunbeam buddies.
The pool was fun, and the company even better ( I got to relax and "talk story" with the other moms..while watching the dad's chase around the kids in the pool. I had a blast!) The girls did too, and didn't want to leave even after it got dark. I was especially happy not to have to cook dinner (yea~!). Being preggo is the only time I lose all desire to cook...is it just me? Anyway, it was a great day, despite the rain and cold...I guess I really have nothing to complain about.

5 comments:

Gini said...

Sounds like you guys had a ball! I live for those days when I can get out of cooking. I do like to cook, but after three meals a day for a week, I am ready for someone else to do the cooking, at least for one meal. When I was pregnant, I couldn't stand to touch raw meat. I would throw up every time I tried. I got to know the butcher at the supermarket really well. He would cut all the fat off and cut the meat into bite sized pieces, and even season it for me, so all I had to do was put it in the pan. He understood because his wife was the same way. It was awesome. Tell me again, when are you due?

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

What a fun day! I was really little when our whole family took a trip to HI, so I don't remember much, but I do remember going to the beach and swimming in the rain one day. We couldn't believe how warm the rain was! (Not like Seattle.) Yes, I think it would be good to get your girls swimming soon, especially with all the time you spend near the water. Lucy is kind of like Anna, she has learned how to jump (more like lift one knee and walk) off the side of the pool when we say "ready, set, go." She also does really well holding her breath and kicking hard when we dunk her under and "swim" her between us. But I could see how it might get scary when they don't know how to swim and they are running around jumping off the edge.

Janee said...

I love the collages of pictures - how do you do that?

jenn w said...

That picture of Anna mid-air is awesome! Too funny that Mitch started out on the stairs and ended up full on in the water with his clothes and all. You mean you didnt want to hop in a swimsuit? I didnt like cooking all that well when i was pregnant either, only because i would get so freaking hungry that i was too impatient! I think i stopped at subway almost everyday! The thought of cooking was like torture...anyway, looks like fun! And those pics of anna with elmo praying are precious.

jenn w said...

OH yes, love the new blog backround!