31 March 2008

i'm going blind!!

Ok, probably not really going blind, but this is what happened to me today at the Optometrist today. The doc notices a small hemorrhage on the optic nerve of my right eye. He says this can be an early sign of Glaucoma! And, me being an Asian female, puts me at a higher risk for this (I guess)...even though I don't fit any of the other criteria for this non-curable degenerative disease! (ie, diabetes, high blood pressure, family history, etc.) Anyway, I have to go see a specialist tomorrow morning to "document" this event and make sure my doc monitors it to make sure it doesn't come back or get worse...otherwise in like 30 years or so, I may go BLIND! I know, I'm being dramatic, but I'm actually not too worried. Besides, sight is overrated anyway, right? :) But seriously, I doubt it's anything to worry about--probably just broke a capillary. We'll see, I guess! I mostly thought it'd be a "big" and shocking title for my blog entry. :)

And on a side note, I'm sure all have heard the news about Aloha Airlines shutting down. It's an unfortunate and sad day for all those in the Airline industry here in Hawaii. Especially since we have many ties and friends in the company. Mitch has been on the phone non-stop since the news broke Sunday afternoon (he actually heard earlier, but the news broke on Sunday). Thankfully, Mitch's Island Air is no longer affiliated with Aloha Airlines and is therefore unaffected by this news...except for maybe the increase in loads and shifts since this will undoubtedly make all other airlines here busier. From last year until just a few months ago, Mitch had been approached by several (and I'm talking well over 10 friends) Aloha workers to join the company. He even considered it last Summer at the height of their "boom" in hiring, but he never felt right about putting in his resume. After much back and forth, we decided to stay at Island Air and we're so blessed and glad that we did. To think of the predicament we could be in had he joined Aloha is such a scary thought. I'm so grateful that he "listened" to the promptings and warnings of the Spirit, but our hearts go out to our friends who are affected by this.

4 comments:

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

I agree, sight is overrated. Since I stopped working full time I've stopped wearing my glasses or contacts regularly and I haven't really missed them that much. I do wear them sometime when I feel like I really need them (like driving at night) or I want to see people's faces (at church). But I do hope that you don't go blind anytime soon and that it was just some broken vessels.

Also, you probably already now this, but make sure your eye Dr. knows your prego because your eyes change a lot during pregnancy (I think from water retention), so it's usually not a good time to mess around with your prescription.

Yumi said...

Yea, Rach...I'm thinking it's just some broken capillaries. And, believe me, there's NO mistaking the fact that I'm preggo-he took one look and said, "oh, how many months?" Nice, yea?
And no worries, he said it could be because of me being preggo...could I be constipated or something? hee hee. But, no change to my scrip, (haven't had a change in years) so no worries there.

Janee said...

WOW! What a blessing that you guys weren't effected by Aloha shutting down! Whew!

jenn w said...

Yes, what a blessing he stayed on with them. Yumes, you wont go blind. But that is a little freaky. Hey could you email me? I had to go private...shadycat74@yahoo.com
Thanks!