17 November 2014

vegas rock n roll!


I feel a tad selfish for taking so many little trip away from home...but this was a particularly fun one for me. I flew to Las Vegas to participate in the Rock n' Roll half marathon.  I was excited and nervous and so very cold!  Who knew that Las Vegas got so cold in the winter?!

 Here I am...landed safely in Vegas after a long, red-eye flight.  Bright and early...with temperatures in the 40's.  Brrrr....



I've been to Las Vegas a few times before, but this was the very first time coming here by myself with no kids.  I met up with my friend Sachiyo from Seattle and we had the most fabulous night!
First was a super fancy dinner at the Wynn.  


Followed by a show!!
We watched Cirque du Soleil's Mystere and it was absolutely incredible!
The feats and stunts that they did were just mind boggling!  We left in awe of what the human body can accomplish when put to its limits of strength and power.  Wow! If you ever have the chance to see a Cirque du Soleil show, GO!  It will blow your mind!


The following day was a day of rest and preparation.  I ran some errands, did a little bit of shopping and after a short nap to rest up, it was out to hit the road!  The Las Vegas Rock n Roll marathon (half marathon for me) is a night race, running along the main Las Vegas strip.  They closed the entire strip down for the race and it was chaos for drivers, I'm sure!
But I got to meet up with my good friend, Gini, who was also running the race.  We had a yummy lunch together before the race at a funky Irish pub.  I think our waiter was even sporting a fake Irish accent when he came to take our order....but the food was yummy and it was so fun getting to catch up before the race.  We didn't get to meet up during the run, however, since she blew past my time and left me in the dust, but it's all good!  


I told myself that this would be my final half marathon...but honestly, this was probably one of the funnest races I've ever run.  The atmosphere, the people, the crowds, and the scenery was just so much fun and excitement!  Plus, I actually had FUN in Las Vegas, which was something I didn't think possible.  I may have to reconsider that vow and sign up for next year's race there as well.
But despite the fun race, the same could not be said for AFTER the race.  It was about a mile and a half walk back to my hotel from the finish line and I was FREEZING.  Literally, a frozen block of ice walking back to my room.  The temperatures had dropped to right around the low 40's and with my wet clothes, I was a popsicle within 15 minutes.  By the time I got back to the hotel, I couldn't feel my fingers and I couldn't stop shivering -even while soaking in a hot bath.  It probably took a good hour before my body temperature returned to normal and I had full function of all my digits.  


And by then, you can bet I was starving!  So, I donned my jacket and headed out to get some sustenance to refuel my body.  I walked about a mile and a half to Bobby Flay's burger joint and ordered myself a burger, fries and onion rings.  Which were probably the BEST onion rings and burger I've ever tasted! (although that could possibly be due to the fact that I was FAMISHED, but either way, it was good!)  And then on my way back, happened upon a Krispy Kreme stand so had to get a couple (or more) donuts for dessert and breakfast the next day.
It was a whirlwind 3 day, 2 night trip but I am SO glad I got to go!  I had so much more fun than I thought I would!  And am so grateful to Mitch for allowing me to get away for a weekend and do what I love to do. I would also be remiss if I didn't mention that since Mitch had to work during the weekend, my Mom stepped in and helped watch the kids for me while I was gone.  I am truly blessed with the best family!  

No comments: