There comes a time in a woman's life when birthdays are no longer happy occasions.
This year, I have reached that milestone.
When I reached the age of 30, I remember thinking to myself, "Wow, I can't believe I'm 30!"
And then shaking that off and simply moving forward. 30 wasn't so bad, really.
But 37?
Where did the time go? When did I hit my mid-thirties...and then surpass it?
I normally don't consider myself a melancholy kind of person. I'm pretty easy-going and happy-go-lucky. I know I've been blessed in so many ways and try to look on the positive side of every situation that comes my way.
But turning 37? Not so much.
I'm sure there are plenty of positive things about turning 37. Like the fact that I'm not turing 38! Yet.
It is inevitable, though.
So, might as well suck it up and move on.
And eat cake.
I told Mitch that I did't feel like celebrating my birthday, and that included no cake.
However, he chose to IGNORE my wishes and buy me a cake anyway.
I was glad for it because seeing my kids enjoy this cake and the happiness on their faces when I opened the box well made up for my moodiness.
Long story short, we all grow up.
There is nothing we can do to stop time or prevent birthdays from coming. The only thing we CAN do is age gracefully by appreciating the experiences and life stories made during each passing year.
And with that, I'll end with saying that I am so very grateful for these people in my life. My husband who ignores my wishes to surprise me with what I didn't want...but obviously needed. And for my children for making an unhappy day, happy! By simply looking at the positives (cake!) and ignoring the negatives (their aging mama).
And so, Happy Birthday to me!
Here's to one more year of happy memories and experiences to enjoy...at least until this day next year. When I will undoubtedly go through the exact same emotional roller coaster yet again.



No comments:
Post a Comment