Today was NOT an ideal beach or pool day.
It was overcast, and muggy, and even a tad rainy.
We decided to head out to the Widward side of the island for a field trip to Ho'omaluhia Botanical Gardens in Kane'ohe.
And really...with 16 kids between the 3 families that went, it really did feel like some school field trip!
After eating a picnic lunch up at the entrance, we headed down the trail that leads to the lake.
Ah, the lake.
Is there any other lake on Oahu? I'm not sure I've ever seen another lake here....
Anyway, here we are feeding the ducks and fish some bread.
I went with my sister Airi (with her 6 kids) and our friends the Ah Nee's (with 5 of her 6 kids).
Here Kumen is trying to "fish" with his makeshift pole (a bent stick) and bait (wad of bread).
Apparently, even with a gazillion fish swimming in the water, no takers.
The ground was kinda muddy and covered with duck poop everywhere...so I tried to keep Kaden strapped in the stroller as long as possible.
Which didn't really last all that long. I mean, he couldn't even feed the fishes his arms didn't reach out over the water!
So, I resorted to carrying him so he could throw some bread into the water to feed the fish.
And after one piece, he decided he'd rather eat the bread instead.
And then try to feed some to me.
Airi with baby Caleb.
I was NOT brave enough to sit down on the grass...
Kaden kept trying to walk along the water!!
Notice the firm grip I had on his little hand?! He fought me tooth and nail, but I was NOT going to be fishing a soaking toddler out of the icky lake! This is about as close to the water as I'd let him go.
But once I let go of his hand...he wandered away.
Like he always does.
But as long as it was up the hill and not down towards the lake, I was ok.
His shoes can always be washed, right?
We stayed only for a short little while, long enough to let the kids feed the ducks and fish and enjoy the cooler side of the island.
Which turned even cooler when it started raining on us!
And then turned excruciatingly HOT once the rain stopped and we were bombarded with 100% humidity!!
And mosquitoes.
Next time we head out to this side...I'll be sure to wait for fairer weather.
And bring mosquito repellant.
But still, a beautiful day and fun afternoon with cousins and friends.

1 comment:
I've been meaning to take my girls there! Everyone I've known from church seem to always take their kids there. We tried once but never made it past Moanalua Gardens (Huy didn't want to explore the windward side). I will get there someday... Not so keen about the water being easily accessible (Isla is not one who likes to be restrained) :/
Post a Comment