06 January 2011

and baby makes...six!

Kaden James Makoto Seavey
Arrived on January 5th 2011 weighing 8 lbs. 11 oz. and measuring 20.5 inches long!



It really is quite funny how he came to be...but if you're not up for a long read, then by all means, feel free to simply browse through the pictures.



Otherwise, pull up a chair and get comfortable!



I'll try and make it worth your while.



:)




To preface-let me say that about a month ago, I had this dream. And in that dream, the date "January 5th" popped into my head. I know it sounds hokey, but I swear it's true!


Ask my family--I TOTALLY told them about it!
Simply coincidence?



Maybe...maybe not!




Anyway...onto my adventure for the day.



Well, due to my so-called "premonition" I went to bed on the 4th anticipating some action overnight. So, you can imagine my frustration upon waking up on the 5th to...nothing.


I got up at 6AM to get breakfast ready for Kela (because she's our early riser, she wakes up at 6 all on her own. Totally NOT a trait she got from me!). Then after a few minutes of wandering about, I started feeling "it." Not super hard at first...but strong enough to make me pause and count. The contractions were about 8 minutes apart.



Not a bad start.



I decided to lie down and wait. They continued at 6-8 minutes apart for about 2 hours...but gaining in strength. Then, at just after 9 AM, I started feeling the "pressure"...you mothers know the one, right? Worried that my bag would rupture at home again, and even though I was still about 6 minutes apart, I convinced Mitch it was time to head in to the hospital.


However, as soon as I stood up to walk outside...the contractions started pounding at 2 minutes apart. And with each lasting over a minute long...I barely had time to breathe in between!


For a 4th child, that's way too close, you know.


Thankfully, the traffic had died down by then so we made it to Kaiser Hospital in a matter of minutes. And this being my 4th, they saw the urgency and bypassed the admissions office and took me directly to the Labor and Delivery room. As Mitch was reparking the car, the nurse led me to the bathroom and helped me change into the gown and then asked me to pee in a cup. It was at this point that I told the nurse that, No...I wasn't going to make it.


She didn't believe me.


I was right.




*sorry for the graphic details here....




So, as I'm in the bathroom with the cup in my hand, baby crowns.


The nurse freaks out (seriously, she's a nurse, right?! I was more calm than her!) and pulls the emergency cord and yells at the top of her lungs for the doctor...or anybody...to come.


The midwife comes in, tells me to relax and so as I'm sitting on the (hopefully clean and sanitized) toilet, baby slides out and the midwife catches him just in time.


No splash, by the way...!



As the adrenaline of the event abates, I cut the cord and walked to the bed where the midwife finishes up with...you know, everything else.


And in walks Mitch.


He missed everything!



Poor guy...



But, all's well that ends well. Baby is healthy and most definitely, a boy!
After 3 1/2 hours of labor, he arrived safely at 9:57 AM.

On the 5th of January.

Just like my dream.

And at 39 weeks gestation, a very robust 8 lbs 11 oz.


Here's some more pictures of the eventful day...


After his very first bath.
It's grainy because I took this with my phone.



Baby and me.

Maybe an hour or so post-delivery.



Our new family of SIX!



With my Mom...who made it in time to babysit Anna and Jolee while we rushed to the hospital.



Our very first visitors!
And a lively bunch of visitors were they!



With Obachan.

This is grandchild #19!



Kela and Kaden.
He seems to love being held by her...



Anna and Kaden.
She still makes us nervous, so you can see Mitch's hand securely underneath.



Proud Papa and Son.


Whew!
Only a day old and never a dull moment!
Welcome to the family, little one!

12 comments:

Lefty said...

Thanks for sharing the details--your Facebook post had me wondering about them. At least there was no splash! Nice work, Yumi. He is adorable--and with the G.Diabetes you did very well: not too big, really. A great size baby. Congratulations.

Jamie said...

Yumi he is so handsome! And what an amazing story!! I can't even believe how brave and strong you had to be! COngrats!! And i am very glad that there was no splash!

kanaboke said...

That is amazing! So glad you stayed calm...that nurse sounds pretty crazy! And seriously, he is so HANDSOME! Most babies are cute or whatever but your lil man is Handsome already!! :D

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!! Story and baby! :) He really is a beautiful baby and what an awesome birth story! Congrats again to you and your beautiful family! :)

SaraR said...

Ooops! That post above from "Anonymous" is me, Sara :)

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

Congrats! At least Mitch wasn't mid-air somewhere. You have a beautiful family! I can't believe that's #19 for your parents!

Anonymous said...

I can't even imagine going through your story. When you mentioned the toilet earlier in a post, I thought he landed inside. I was pleasantly surprised that he got caught by the midwife. Congratulations, the family looks great. Enjoy your boy.

Jane

Noelle said...

That is an awesome story! You make labor sound so easy. I hope it's quick like that for me (minus the toilet, lol!) He looks good and very healthy!! Love your family. Take care and congratulations again!!

Love,
The Lams

Sarah said...

I am very happy for you. The world of boys is so much different than girls. I am glad you get to experience it. That truly is one of the best delivery stories I have heard. You done well. :) Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Yumi! Congratulations! You are a PRO! I'm glad there was no splash and I'm glad you were able to be calm, cool and collected. I'm sorry that Mitch missed the birth but I'm sure he'll have so many other happy times with Kaden. I love that name btw! Congratulations on the newest addition to your already beautiful family! Take care!

Ana said...

What a hilarious story! :)

Janee said...

Very handsome boy! CONGRATS! Yeah, D and I were laughing when Brian told us the story :) You're so lucky! I have to push for hours (and hours and hours) for my babies to come out!