07 February 2009

a lesson learned, a trial overcome

Last week, we had to pick Kela up from preschool early because she apparently started crying & wouldn't stop. Then on Monday, she wouldn't even let Mitch drop her off-she cried and cried and Mitch ended up giving up and bringing her home. Then Wednesday, she was fine when I dropped her off but when I went to pick her up, her teacher told me that she cried again during playtime. Playtime!?
On Friday, she started crying before we even left the house, saying she didn't want to go to school. Something is definitely up. (I know, it took a while to ask) But after finally talking it all out with her, I discovered the reason why. It turns out that her best friend at school is no longer there during the playground time. She arrives right about the time that we pick Kela up...so Kela no longer has a playmate during "free-time." She told me that "Nobody wants to play with me. They don't want to be my friend."
It just about broke my heart. Literally-my heart ached for her!
You think it would be easy to simply find another playmate to hang out with. Not so. She's just too shy to reach out to others on her own-I was the same way when I was a kid...so I know exactly how she feels.
As a mother, this is one of the hardest things, I think. To watch your child struggle with insecurities and difficult experiences like feeling left out by classmates and being alone. However, I did my duty and encouraged her to open up. I gave her a good long "pep talk," encouraged her to talk to her other classmates, and gave her a big hug and sent her on her way.
Paranoid me couldn't stop thinking about her the entire morning. To the point that I ended up arriving at her preschool an hour early for pick-up. As I "staked out" her playground during their play time, I got even more nervous and eventually went in to pick her up before lunch instead of afterward. To my surprise and relief, she had made a couple new friends and wanted to stay! She had asked a girl to share her M&M's and became friends...Mama was so proud!
This is what we did to "kill time" while Kela's at preschool. I got to go for a nice jog, and then let Anna and Jolee play at the playground.

2 comments:

Janee said...

Oh that is so sad! I'm glad to hear she recovered like a champ and made some new friends :)

That is my biggest fear as a mom - when my kiddos are old enough to go out into the big bad world and I can't protect them from the heartbreaks and saddness they'll eventually have to face. Scares me to death!

Anonymous said...

Preschool, what STRESS!!!! I'm so glad that Kela made some new friends. She's so super sweet - I'm sure there are a ton of friends just waiting for her out there.

On another note, I can't believe that Jolee is "up and around" already. Maybe I always see you or Mitch carrying her I've never seen her mobile like that. Uh oh, life will get a little more complicated for you very soon! Good luck!